The People’s Voice • The People’s Campaign
The Winning Democrat candidate for Texas State Representative, District 131
Get to know how he plans to connect with the people of this historic Houston district.
A Strong History
I am a God-fearing man and father that has been Bruised, Broken and Blessed. I am a Change-Maker, and a Glass Ceiling Breaker. A Courageous Leader and Entrepreneur. An Embodiment of Ideas and Ideals. A seeker of Wisdom and Knowledge. A Giver, a Helper, an Encourager and Uplifter to young and older alike.
I am the son of a father with a 10th-grade education, but the work ethic of a mule! My mother earned her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from TSU and UofH, and together they became job creators, entrepreneurs, partners, and business owners in 1974 when I was born. Since then, their businesses have grown, evolved, survived, and thrived.
For the past 21 years, I have served as President of CenterPointe Hotels, now HarDam Hotels & Housing which acquired and developed major branded hotels in its inception, and today owns, as well as serves as a developer and project manager of major branded hotels under the Hilton, Marriott and Hyatt Hotel brands, as well as affordable and market rate Single-Family and Multi-Family housing developments.
I was born, raised and currently reside in the Hiram Clarke area of Houston (District 131). I attended Hobby Elementary, Dowling and Pershing Middle Schools, and graduated from James Madison High School. I am a graduate of the University of North Texas with a bachelor’s degree in business and accounting. I am also to this day pursuing my MBA from the University of Houston – Downtown and my graduate certification in Construction Management.
Results & Accomplishments
– 46 years – Resident of District 131
– 46 years – Family-Owned businesses – Grocery Stores / Real Estate
– 23 years – Hotel and Multi-Family Owner and Developer
– First African American Hotel Franchisee – Hampton by Hilton hotels
– Problem Solver
– Strategic Planner
– Government and Community Relations
– Project Funding
– Real Estate Developer
– Financial Management
– Dowling Middle • Hobby Elementary
– University of North Texas – B.S. – Accounting / Economics / Business
– UH-D – MBA (current); Dallas College – Construction Management
Leadership & Board Affiliations
– President’s Advisor – Equity & Diversity – University of North Texas
– Board of Directors – Foundation Board – University of North Texas
– Board of Directors – Alumni Board – University of North Texas
– Board of Advisors – College of Business – University of North Texas
– UNT Multicultural Center – Co-Founder; UNT Black Alumni Network
James has received endorsements from the Black Firefighters Association, Houston Police Officers Union, the Houston Fire – EMS – Rescue and MANY, MANY, MORE TO COME !! These organizations believe in his commitment to creating change for District 131. Join them in endorsing James in this exciting campaign.